04 April 2012

Do it. Now.

Since I haven't blogged in ages, I have lots of things to share with you that are happening or have happened at the House of Grebe. 

A quick share would be the stenciled entry. 

I have always loved Orla Kiely's multi-stem wallpaper, but haven't ever had the chops to buck up and buy it.  It really isn't all that pricey for wallpaper, but I was afraid Big Daddy might have a few choice words for me if I asked him to wallpaper on top of the myriad of other things he has been doing around here.  So...

I decided to try and stencil the design. 


I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a pack of uncut stencil paper.  I think it was about $4 for 3 sheets.  I also picked up a new exacto knife so that the blade was extra sharp. 

Next, I blew up the multi stem design in Photoshop and printed it.  Then, I just traced it onto the stencil sheet.  Finally, I cut out the design with the exacto knife.  I did leave the top and bottom edges of the design uncut so that I could use those as a guide to line up the pattern as I moved along.  Does that make any sense?

Because there were so many colors involved, and the fact that walls are not perfectly straight but I wanted to make sure the design looked level, it was a slow moving process.


Off and on, it took me about 2 days to finish.  When the stenciling itself was complete, I had to touch up around the door frames, and ceiling.  Then to give it a more worn finish, I lightly sanded over all the walls. 

I am super pleased, and it gives the entry a little space definition from the rest of the space since we have such an open concept floor plan.  My sister says it looks like a circus, which secretly makes me quite pleased.  I mean, c'mon...the circus is super fun, AND you can buy loads of cotton candy there.

Anywho, if you've ever thought about stenciling, but couldn't find a design you liked, this is a pretty easy, albeit time consuming project. 

The only advice I have is that make sure your stencil brush or sponge is almost COMPLETELY devoid of paint before you start the stencil process.  Otherwise, the paint will bleed under the stencil and onto the walls for a very unpleasant effect.  LESS IS MORE.  I never thought I'd say that, but in this particular case it's very true. 

**Please ignore the shoe basket as we are a 'no shoe' household.
It is always overflowing because no one puts their shoes in their closet.  Don't get me started.**


Let me know if you have any questions about this project.

Or the circus.

I would be happy to discuss either.

8 comments:

  1. I love the colors you used. I think it makes the space so bright and FUN!! I wish my house looked more like a circus :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I adore it, and want to do it, like tonight. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks amazing! what a happy entry. :) i say it was time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe-Some! I love it! Now I want to do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your attention span is amazing! This looks great. I've thought about doing the same pattern as a cut out, like using different colors of contact paper. Anyway, this is awes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! You are funky fresh!