24 September 2009

Read this.

Normally, I do not press books, movies, or other entertainment. If you want to read it, watch it, or do it...that's cool by me. However, I DO think everyone, including those of the male variety, should read all of Miss Austen's novels, Leo Tolstoy's 'Anna Karenina', Roald Dahl's fanciful fiction, Bradbury's 'Farenheit 451', Bronte's 'Jane Eyre', and as much Shakespere as one can digest. Some things should just not go ignored. Reading is as close to a time machine as I could think to ever come in my lifetime.

After much persuasion on my sister's part, I had finally decided to crack open 'Outlander' by Diana Gabaldon.

I will admit that the first 100 pages or so were really not living up to my expectations based on my sister's accolades. But, then things start to happen. Oh, boy, do they ever!

This book spans wars, political schemes, 18th century Scottish Highland life (pee-yew), love, illness, death, human perseverance. It made me cry until my eyes swelled shut and laugh out loud so hard that Big Jake had to ask me, "What's wrong?".

The connection between the two main characters, Jamie Fraser and Claire Beauchamp Randall, is truly transcending. Their marriage is authentic and tangible. Their fights are comically real, and their physical connection is electrifying. At the core of this book is, in fact, their relationship, but it is by no means strictly a romance novel. It is 20th/21st century historical literature with a dash of science fiction. All at it's finest.

Diana Gabaldon's writing has spoiled me. Currently, I don't have any intention of reading anyone else. Good thing there are, currently, 7 books in the series with more to come; 'Outlander', 'Dragonfly in Amber', 'Voyager', 'Drums of Autumn', 'The Fiery Cross', 'A Breath of Snow and Ashes', and 'An Echo in the Bone' . I am currently reading the third, then it's onto her 'Lord John' series.

Her words are magic. Her detail is unsurpassed. Instead of feeling like I'm reading, I feel like a storyteller is spinning me a tale. I just can't wait to find out what happens next and how one event or character is entwined with another. It is a tangled but glorious web she weaves.

If you do one thing for yourself before, let's say Christmastime, read, at the very least, 'Outlander'. You will not regret it.

Well, I hope not, anyway!

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! You are funky fresh!