12 October 2011

Hump day ear candy.


So, it's been awhile. 

And, today, I thought I'd do a little something different.

Instead of sharing some of my favorite music with you {even though I have tons of stuff to share: Local Natives, Jonsi (Sigur Ros), Miike Snow, Imagine Dragons, Wye Oak, new Mumford & Sons, etc} I was going to share with you my all time favorite lyrics.

I think lyrics are a pretty powerful thing.  Sometimes they can change the entire way I feel about a song. 

Say the melody isn't a favorite, but the lyrics are magic...

Or the tune is catchy, but the lyrics are all wrong, and just don't speak to you...

See what I mean?

I think they are so important.  It's poetry.  A lot is left to interpretation.  Subjectivity. 

So, without further ado...
my favorite lyrics come from Mr.Jeff Buckley, may he rest in peace.

This is our last goodbye
I hate to feel the love between us die.
But it's over
Just hear this and then I'll go:
You gave me more to live for,
More than you'll ever know.

Well, this is our last embrace,
Must I dream and always see your face?
Why can't we overcome this wall?
Baby, maybe it's just because I didn't know you at all.

Kiss me, please kiss me,
But kiss me out of desire, babe, and not consolation.
Oh, you know it makes me so angry 'cause I know that in time
I'll only make you cry, this is our last goodbye...

~Excerpt from "Last Goodbye" written by Jeff Buckley

Sigh.

I know, right?

Those words get me every time. 

The thing is, they really aren't relevant to me in my life.  Call me lucky in love, I suppose. But, the reason I think I adore these words so, is because they have the power to make me feel a deep sadness about something I don't know much about. Heartbreak.

They evoke so many emotions. I think that's what a good song {lyrically & otherwise} should do.  I think these words above others always stick out to me because even though I haven't experienced severe heartache in the love department, it still stirs something inside me.

Sort of like 'Wuthering Heights'.  Don't even get me started on that one!

That sounds totally cheesy.  Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.  But, geez, that is why I LOVE MUSIC!

There just isn't a good way to articulate it.  At all.

So what does it for you? Lyrically speaking? 

I'd LOVE to know.

Unless, of course, it's Lady Gaga, "Poker Face":

I won't tell you that I love you
Kiss or hug you
Cause I'm bluffin' with my muffin
I'm not lyin' I'm just stunnin' with my love-glue-gunning

Which, I'm sure every good crafter out there can appreciate, but c'mon...not a lot of substance, ya know?


2 comments:

  1. Sheesh...Jeff Buckley. I can't listen to him these days. I discovered him at a very painful time in my life, and he fulfilled that need for expressing the rawness of the emotions I was going through for several months. When I healed from the hurt, I realized that Jeff became a casualty as well, and he had to go. Every time I listened to him, it brought rushing back the sad memories from the past. He was brilliant, and listening to "Hallelujah" always gave me chills.

    I wonder what kind of music he would be making today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. just heard some Jeff Buckley today on good ole' Pandora...what wonderful talent, gone before we knew just how amazing he was...

    STOKED that you mentioned Local Natives!!! I listen to the entire album at LEAST once a week since this past winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! You are funky fresh!