27 December 2009

Crazy day.


photo from londonphotos.com

Today was just one of those days. 

I went to the laundromat with the boys to get some of our BIG items clean in those big triple load machines.  Comforters, quilts, mattress pads, throws, etc. No one was there when we arrived this afternoon, but soon after, two men came in.  They reeked of alcohol, and were smoking, and were very obvioulsy intoxicated.  Mind you, we were in a good neighborhood, right across the street from where my mom works in St.Louis County.

They started talking to me and the boys, and were pretty harmless at first.  All too soon, though,  they started getting out of hand and it was making me very nervous.  One of the men was talking to the boys about the books they brought with them, and the other was touching my arm and calling me sexy, and talking about how long and nice my legs were.  He was pawing at my laundry and making me very uncomfortable.  I was FREAKED!

Earlier that day, my mom had agreed to meet me, so you can imagine I was eagerly awaiting her arrival.  I didn't know what to do.  I knew I needed to call the police, but didn't want them to hear me on the phone, and I wanted the one to leave the boys alone. I told the boys to come over by me. 

At about this point my mom arrived, as well as an older man there to finish his laundry.  The men skulked off to the corner near the change machine.  I told my mom what had been going down, and she told me to go ahead and call the police.  Just as I was ready to, one of the men slammed the change machine to try and break it open and an alarm went off.  The two men exited and walked down the road out of sight.

I called the police, and they arrived very quickly.  One left immediately to see if he could find the men.  I was asked a few questions, and later had to drive with the one of the other officers to go and identify the men they caught. From a distance, of course, in the patrol car as to protect my identity.

What an afternoon! 

I have never been so scared in my life.  I felt like control over the situation was slipping away from me the more the one man kept talking.  I felt like he could snap at any moment, and do something bad.  Either to me, or the boys.  Probably rob me just to be able to buy more beer or cigarettes.  But bad nonetheless. 

All of this happened in a matter of 15 minutes or so, and with the cops being involved, maybe another 20, but I can't stop thinking about it.  I keep thinking about how sad it was that the disease of alcholism or drug addiction had made these men what they are today.  Loitering in a laundromat to keep out of the cold.  Homeless or kicked out of their home temporarily, looking for someone to rob or pickpocket, or a women to take advantage of in a horrible way. 

It was a dose of reality I could have done without.  I still think my heart might expolde. 

It's over now, and I am so thankful nothing horrible happened.  The boys left the laundromat with my mom, while I stayed behind because I had a bit more to finish up, but they asked my mom if I would be okay.  I think they were a bit shaken up, as well.  I am remaining hopeful that they won't think much about it.

Needless to say, anything can happen anywhere at anytime.

Life is precious.

Remember that, peeps!



5 comments:

  1. That is a scary situation. Thank goodness it ended like that.
    xo
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that everything turned out okay. I felt a little panicked while reading this and was wondering what I would do in your shoes!

    I just signed on to follow your blog. Your daughter's story sounds a lot like my daughter's story. I had to have a c-section because she was breech and we thought that she was healthy too.
    At four months old, we started asking the hard questions about what could be wrong. Finally after she turned a year, we were told that she has cp, later another neuro dx with static encephalopathy. We also learned in 2008 that she has a rare chromosome disorder. 15q26.1

    Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad everything ended okay. Life is precious indeed. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GIRL JUST REMEBER NEXT TIME.... LEAVE YOUR STUFF GET IN YOUR CAR AND CALL THE POLICE YOU CAN ALWAYS REPLACE THINGS BUT NOT LIVE!!!!! YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF I CANT AFFORD TO EVER LOSE MY BESTIE!!! LOVE YA GIRL! MRS. LEWIS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes that is so scarry! Thank goodness your mom was coming! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! You are funky fresh!