19 November 2008

the Yin & the Yang

the yin: a sofa that not only is aesthetically pleasing, but is also comfortable<<<<<
This concept seems lost on most people, but I assure you that you can have your cake and eat it too. And if you still need to be horizontal to be happy while using your sofa, my suggestion would be to get a great ottoman. Pillows also add cushyness and cuteness.

the yang: poofy, reclining furniture>>>>>

I realize that most of us go out to buy something that is comfy when we invest in furniture. But you can have great form and function. You can, you really can!



the yin: cloth diapers<<<<<
They have come a looonnngggg way since the days of our parents. They are just as easy as disposables, and WAY more cost effective. I love the bum genius 3.0. They also give little ones a big ol' boona that is irresistable. And, bonus, they are great for the environment. I am sorry I didn't know about these sooner than Rosie!


the yang: disposable diapers>>>>>
Sure they are more convenient, but they cost a fortune, and why spend the dough when there is an alternative. I haven't found a cloth diaper that I LOVE yet for Miss Betsy (she needs a big size and isn't potty trained yet because of her disability), but I am trying. (I've bought a few, well made ones off of etsy, but need more). Once you learn to live without these earth killers, you'll never miss 'em. Trust me!


the yin: living with no debt (mortgage and car payments excluded, and even student loans, I guess)<<<<<
Sure, it is hard to do sometimes, we even got into a little debt when we first got married (wow, were we stupid). Lesson learned. Now we have to save for things or just live without them (fancy vacations, cars, clothes, etc.), but in the end, it will be well worth it. We will be ahead of many of our generational counterparts. Remember, good things come to those who wait. And I truly believe this. Jake and I have never even had a car payment until about 4 years ago. (I miss those days)

the yang: living beyond your means>>>>>
Buying whatever you want whenever you want sounds great, and there are times that I wish we could do that. However, it is the instant gratification seekers that will suffer in the end.


the yin: jeans that are the right length<<<<< Your jeans should, ideally, cover the back of your heel. Let me tell you, at 6', this is very difficult for me to achieve. It takes about a 36" inseam.

the yang: jeans that are too short>>>>>
I cringe when I see girls walking around like that in the photo at right. If you are of average height, there is nooooooo reason that should happen. NONE! If you are tall or just have a hard time finding the right length, I would be more than happy to let you know where to find long jeans. Cheap, too!

the yin: smaller is sometimes better<<<<<
We live in 1000 square feet, in addition to a finished basement. Our kids share rooms, and space is at a premium. I have to get creative (very creative) storing and organizing our stuff, and, right now, I wouldn't have it any other way. You get very resourceful living like this. And, it's quite comfortable; physically, mentally, and financially. Sure, we'll get a bigger place someday, but for now, our crib is kickin'.

the yang: mcmansions>>>>>
What is this phenomenon about exactly? Who has the biggest house they can't afford? I certainly don't get it. Maybe someone else can explain it to me. My parents worked their whole lives to get where they are today. What ever happened to good old fashioned hard work and saving? But, hey, if you can finance it, you can afford it, right? Am I right, people, am I right?

Well, I could go on and on, so, I will stop now. Aren't you relieved?

ps I hope I didn't offend anyone. If I did, that certainly wasn't my intention. My way of living certainly isn't the only way or the right way. For all that know me, my opinions flow like Niagara Falls. Loved or hated, but never ignored. (Wow, I think that is my husbands college fraternity's motto. I am losing it!)

Asta Lasagna, don't get any on ya'!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! You are funky fresh!