12 January 2009

color me happy.

I made these for Betsy's Valentine's for school.
Several things:
*they are crayons
*I got the idea here
*they're green (upcycling old, nasty crayons around the house,
can you say 'Save the Planet')
*they ooze cuteness
*the whole project will cost about $5 (and that's
for 13 kids)

Really,
all you do is this:
*gather up all of your old crayons
(I confess, I bought one extra box from Target, but they are only like $.78)
*then you take all of the wrappers off
*group similar colors, and chop away
(I've also read that you can grate them, if you prefer)
*I put the wax in silicone heart ice trays bought
in the dollar section of Target.
(You get 2 in a pack for $2.50)
*put the trays on a cookie sheet for stability
* fill to the brim with chopped crayons
*place in a preheated 350 degree oven
*bake for about 10 minutes or until melted completely

At first,
I was going to make monochromatic crayons,
but then I decided to go a different route.

Betsy has a colorful personality.
I thought her Valentine's should reflect that.
I decided to mix the colors,
and why not throw in a little sparkle?
Once out of the oven,
let cool until set,
at least 1 hour.
Carefully, pop out of the molds, and...

Voila!
This particular batch didn't have the glitter,
but it does work if you want to add it.

Aren't they purdy?
They make me happy just to look at them.
I hope the colors make you happy to.
Check out more crayon fun here, here, here, here, here, here, or my personal favorite, here.

Color out of
the lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! You are funky fresh!