10 August 2010

A recipe.


I love curry.  I like it on fish or chicken, in chicken salad with grapes and walnuts, with coconut milk and rice, and now in a soup.

I've been making this soup for awhile now, but thought it was time I share it with all of you.  It isn't for everyone, but if you like curry, you will LOVE it. Best part is that a hearty serving is 264 calories, 7 g of fat, and 3 g of fiber.  Not bad.

The original recipe is from 'The Redwall Cookbook', based on the young-adult book series {which, by the way, is fantastically charming}.  It was then adapted for 'Family Circle' magazine, and then, of course, I've made a few changes.


You will need:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large onion
3-4 cloves of garlic, finely diced
4 medium leeks, washed well and chopped OR
5-6 stalks of celery finely diced
3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
salt & pepper to taste
1 pound peeled, deveined, cooked shrimp
2 cups skim milk

In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter.  Add the onion, garlic, and leeks or celery, stirring until soft, about 5 minutes.


Add vegetable or chicken stock, potatoes, curry, salt & pepper.  Cover and simmer until potatoes are soft, 15-20 minutes.


Remove pot from heat.  Immediately add shrimp and milk, gently heating through by adding it to the hot broth and potato mixture.


Enjoy {sometimes I serve it with really good, crusty bread}.


Sidenote:  If you don't have leeks {which I don't always have on hand}, I've discovered you can use celery.  I would imagine the celery version has fewer calories, too.  Although both ways are delicious, I prefer the leek version.  It must be the extra calories that have my heart.

Also, this is a doubled recipe of the original version.  It feeds my girls and me {the only ones that eat it in this house} for a good couple of days; dinner, lunch, then dinner again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! You are funky fresh!