03 March 2011

Spread the word.


Many of you probably don't know that it's 'R-word' day.  Or that there is even a national campaign called 'R-word'.  It's main focus is to shed light on individuals with intellectual disabilities.  In March, they have a special day set aside to 'spread the word to end the word'.  Today is that day.

I could go on and on about this topic.  Back in 2008, I did, HERE.  So, today, I thought I'd share with you a couple links and You Tube vids that speak volumes on the topic.

#1: "The retard in the next booth" from J.C. Wert
This is a post I can relate to.  Unfortunately.  I haven't encountered ignorance to quite this degree, but it undoubtedly exists.  Sad, but true.

#2 "Stop Using the Word 'Retard'" from Jeff Goins Writer
Straight forward.  To the point.  Who you are when no one is watching speaks volumes about, well, who you are.  The REAL you.

#3 Johnny Knoxville, Eddie Barbanell and the R-word {probably my favorite of all}

#4 We Need a New R-word


#5 ABC's "The View" discusses the R-word {I hate 'The View'.  But, I'm posting this because I am amazed that not all of these women agree on this ONE topic.  No matter what your political affiliation, job, religion, race: THIS WORD IS UGLY!  And, yes, Whoopi, it is VERY much in the same category as the 'N-word'.  All of the same principles apply. Used to describe someone who is thought of as 'less than human'.  And, Joy, literally it does mean to 'slow down', but get real, that's not the way it is intended when used in everyday slang.  Remove your head from your butt, please. Elisabeth, get off of your right wing soap box for just a moment, and let's not use this opportunity to advance your political agenda. Because, ladies, until we can agree on the bottom line here, we aren't making any forward progress.  Know better, do better.}


So, now you know.  


Spread the word.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link. I'm honored you would do that. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always stunned by the use of this word. Terrible. Also bad? When people say "gay" when they mean "stupid" or "lame". How can people not understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for spreading the word and for the link!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! You are funky fresh!